Saturday, June 11, 2011

Orientation Follow-up

To follow up on my daughter’s orientation experience at the University of Colorado: She thanked me when I picked her up on Friday and told me that even though part of orientation was boring, she was glad she went. She connected well with her advisor, got her classes lined up, and was even invited to a get-together of select students in her major. She said: “You were right Mom, it was worth it.” I tried very hard to sit still and not shout, “See, I do know something!”

When I pressed her for details, she revealed that during some of those “boring” sessions, she learned about resources that were available on campus for everything from depression and suicidal thoughts to handling stress to staying safe. She had a great time at the laser light show at the Fiske Planetarium and, of course, she made a few new friends. On the ride home, she said more than once that she was now a “college student.” She feels more confident about what to expect in the fall and she is truly looking forward to it.

Students will have various reactions to orientation, but the point is that they all will come away from it more familiar with their campus, more aware of what is available for them, and their schedules set for the fall through the guidance of an advisor.

I stand by my statements in Toward College Success: Orientation is an important step toward a successful college experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment